- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 medium yellow onion halved and thinly sliced
- 5 medium garlic cloves smashed and peeled
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp dried oregano divided
- 2 lb beef brisket trimmed and cut into 2 to 2 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup lime juice plus lime wedges to serve
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives chopped
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce roughly chopped (
- 6 Radishes halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 ripe avocado halved, pitted, peeled and diced
START: On a
6-quartInstant Pot, select Normal/Medium Sauté. Add 1 tbspoil and heat until shimmering, then add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring often, until the onion is golden brown, another 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 tspsalt, 1 tsppepper, the bay, 1 tsporegano and 1 cupwater, scraping up any browned bits. Add the beef in an even layer, slightly overlapping the pieces if needed.
Fast: Press Cancel, lock the lid in place and move the pressure valve to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook or Manual; make sure the pressure level is set to High. Set the cooking time for 45 minutes. When pressure cooking is complete, allow the pressure to reduce naturally for 15 minutes, then release the remaining steam by moving the pressure valve to Venting. Press Cancel, carefully open the pot and let the contents cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
FINISH: While the beef is cooking, in a large bowl whisk together the lime juice, the remaining
5 tbspoil, the remaining 1 tspdried oregano and 1 tspeach salt and pepper. Set aside. Once the meat is done, use a slotted spoon to transfer the meat and onion to a medium bowl; do not discard the liquid remaining in the pot. With two forks, shred the beef into bite-size pieces. Whisk the dressing to recombine. Add 1/2 cupof the dressing, the olives and 1/4 cupof the reserved cooking liquid to the shredded meat, then toss to coat. Let cool to room temperature. Whisk the remaining dressing once again. Add the lettuce, radishes and cilantro to it, then toss to coat. Transfer to a platter and top with the beef and the avocado. Serve with lime wedges.