From the author
For more information on how to assemble a vertical cake, see the article on the vertical assembly of cakes.
2.5 grams. At the tip of a teaspoon
780g (may take a little more or less)
5 tablespoons (or more to taste)
to taste, I added about 4 dining rooms
1. Pour sugar in a saucepan with a thick bottom and put on fire. When the sugar begins to melt, reduce the heat to medium. Do not interfere !!! You can periodically slowly tilt the pan to one side or the other to help the sugar melt evenly.
2. In parallel, in another saucepan, melt the butter and honey. The mixture of butter and honey should be hot so that the caramel does not harden. Mix caramel (melted sugar) and honey with butter until smooth. Cool the caramel-honey mass to about 70 degrees. It will be faster if you pour it into a cold bowl. Caramel slices may form. It’s not worth worrying, they will dissolve in the dough when baking.
3. Add eggs to the cooled caramel mixture and mix. Add 1/3 of the sifted flour and mix until smooth.
4. Add soda, citric acid to the dough and mix well with a mixer. The dough foams and brightens.
5. The final step, add the remaining flour to the dough and knead a soft, sticky dough. Let the dough lie down for about 5 minutes, covering it with a towel. The dough has an amazing caramel honey flavor.
While the dough is resting, prepare caramel, which will be impregnated.
6. Pour sugar into a small saucepan with a thick bottom and melt, without stirring, to an amber color. Then remove from heat and add butter. Shuffle.
7. Add hot cream to the creamy sugar mixture (250ml) (preheat them) gradually, in several approaches, stirring well each time.
8. Put the pan on the fire again and heat until the mixture reaches 108 degrees. Cool completely by putting in the refrigerator for a while.
Now prepare the sour cream.
9. Whip the cool cream (200ml) with powdered sugar until solid peaks, gradually adding sour cream and, without ceasing to whip at low speeds, gradually bring the cooked caramel. The cream is ready!
Roll out and bake cakes.
10. Roll the dough thinly (1.5 mm), roughly into the shape of a rectangle. Transfer the dough with parchment onto a baking sheet and bake in the oven preheated to 160 degrees for 5 minutes. The cakes are thin and baked quickly.
11. We get the baked cakes and, while they are hot, cut off a 22 cm rectangle by X cm (adjust the height yourself). We cool the cakes and on the cooled cakes we smear with cream, leave for an hour, possibly longer. Then we connect 2 soaked cakes each and begin to twist the first pair of cakes, then add 2 more, etc. We tighten the resulting vertical roll with a ring (if any) and put in the refrigerator for the night. After the night, coat the cake with the remaining cream and sprinkle with crumbs.
Caramel vertical honey cake soaked in caramel-sour cream. Such a cake will impress your guests and become a festive table decoration! And most importantly – this is a very tasty combination of thin, delicate caramel cakes and sour cream and cream with caramel flavor.