- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 bottle lager beer or ale
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
Press the Sauté button on the Instant Pot® and melt butter. Add carrots, celery, and onion. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then add mustard and paprika and stir well.
Add flour and stir well to combine, then cook for 1 minute. Slowly stir in beer, scraping the bottom of pot well, then add broth. Press the Cancel button.
Close lid, set steam release to Sealing, press the Manual button, and set time to 5 minutes. When the timer beeps, let pressure release naturally, about 15 minutes. Open lid and purée mixture with an immersion blender. Stir in cream, then stir in cheese
1 cupat a time, whisking each addition until completely melted before adding another. Serve hot.