- 4 pounds mixed bones see Tidbits
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil optional
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper optional
- 4 carrots halved crosswise
- 2 stalks celery halved crosswise, with leaves
- 1 large yellow onion quartered
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 – 8 cups filtered water
If the bones are cooked, place them in the Instant Pot insert. If the bones are raw, place them on a baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast in a 400°F oven for 20 minutes. Transfer the bones and any juices to the Instant Pot.
Add the carrots, celery, onion, parsley, garlic, vinegar, and enough filtered water to just barely cover the bones.
Secure the lid and select the soup/stew button for 80 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally, then remove the lid.
Skim the fat from the broth and pour the broth through a fine-mesh sieve to strain out the bones and other solids.
Allow the broth to cool to room temperature, then store in airtight containers in the refrigerator for 1 week, or freeze in silicone muffin molds and, once frozen, transfer to resealable plastic bags for 6 months. Reheat from frozen in a saucepan over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, until heated through.