How to make the most delicious pickles? How to choose herbs and spices? How to avoid banks explode? We discuss the pressing issues of the end of summer.
Of course, the best cucumbers are cucumbers from their own beds. But if there is none in your life, and you buy cucumbers in a store or in the market, then when choosing, be guided by this:
- The size should be small – this is necessary for uniform salting out, and for the fact that the cucumbers are well placed in the bank.
- Best if the cucumbers are young. In this case, the seeds in them will be small and tender, and in addition, in the pulp there will be no cavities characteristic of cucumbers that have sagged for a long time not collected. Cucumbers with such cavities are soft and do not crunch.
- Good pickles for pickling are pickles with pimples on which small spikes are felt.
- The tips of the cucumbers should not have a yellowish tint.
- There should not be bitterness in cucumbers for pickling, so you should definitely try a couple of cucumbers from the party that you are going to salt. Bitterness is concentrated in the darkest parts of the cucumber – in the buttocks.
This is what cucumbers ideal for pickling look like:
The main thing – water!
The taste of cucumbers almost one hundred percent depends on the quality of the water used for salting. It’s hard to believe, but you can one day experiment by pickling cucumbers with different waters according to the same recipe.
We will insist: good pickles need spring / well water. If you have a cottage with a well, use this opportunity. Another suitable option is to use quality bottled water. It’s great if this water is enriched with silver.
The worst thing you can do is pickle the cucumbers in urban, unfiltered water.
You need the salt called “Stone”. Iodized salt or “Extra” salt is not suitable for nibbling: the jars will explode, and besides, the cucumbers will turn soft and completely non-elastic.
Herbs, Leaves, Spices
If cucumbers are salted without additives, they will have no taste. It will turn out bare salt and nothing else. Each hostess has a set of herbs, leaves and spices, as a rule. Choose your own experience empirically. The most popular ingredients are:
- Leaves: currants, cherries, oak
- Spices: allspice, black peppercorns, coriander, caraway seeds, mustard seeds, cloves
- Herbs: dill (umbrellas), mint, tarragon, celery, basil, lovage
- For spiciness: horseradish leaves, pieces of horseradish root, garlic, mustard powder. When choosing a component for pungency, keep in mind that the tastes of garlic and horseradish compete, you should give one of them preference – put more. If you put equal amounts of both, tastes will clog one another.
- To prevent banks from exploding: put a pinch of mustard seeds in the brine. an alternative method is to add vodka to the brine (1 tablespoon per 2 liters of brine).
- To prevent mold from forming under the cover: cut the horseradish root with thin plates and lay out the space under the lid with them.
- Speed up the salting of cucumbers You can make them punctures with a fork.
A hot way to pickle cucumbers
The hot pickling method allows you to make cucumbers that are well stored. Jars of cucumbers can not be kept in the refrigerator, but it is better to put them cool – for example, on the windowsill.
The ingredients listed below are suitable for both hot salting in a pan and salting in a jar.
- 1.5 kg of cucumbers
- 1 head garlic
- 5 leaves of cherry
- 5 currant leaves
- 3 dill inflorescences
- tarragon (optional)
- horseradish root – a small piece
the size of one finger phalanx
- 10 black peas peppercorns
- 3 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp rock salt
- 2 liters of water
Salting in a pan
Soak cucumbers in cold water for 2 hours. In the meantime, boil 2 liters of water with 3 tablespoons of salt, pepper, bay leaf. Transfer the soaked cucumbers to a pan (it should be enameled or stainless steel) and pour over the brine. Cucumbers need to be pressed down with a plate with a load so that they are at the bottom of the pan and do not float. In this form, let them stand for three days. After this, the cucumbers need to be laid out in jars along with currant and cherry leaves, garlic, horseradish and dill. Boil the remaining brine in the pan and fill them with cans, then twist them.
Zsolka in the bank
In a three-liter jar we spread the leaves of cherry and currant, horseradish. Then we fill the jar with cucumbers, not forgetting to add garlic, dill. Boil 2 liters of water with 3 tablespoons of salt, pepper and lavrushka. Pour the brine into jars, but do not twist them, but leave them to stand for 3 days. Foam will appear in the process – this is normal. After this, pour the brine from the jar into the pan, boil it, pour it back into the jars. Let the cucumbers stand for 15 minutes, then the procedure is repeated. Drain the brine, boil, pour, let stand for 15 minutes. The cycle is repeated three times. After that, you can spin the cans.
Cold-made cucumbers should be stored in the refrigerator or in the cellar when it comes to summer cottages. If the cans are warm, they will explode. However, this is the easiest and fastest way to pickle cucumbers.
Arrange the cucumbers in jars along with currant leaves, dill, garlic, black pepper. Prepare a brine at the rate of 1.5 tbsp. salt per 1 liter cold water. Pour them with cucumbers, cover the jars with lids and put them in a cool place for at least a month, after which time cucumbers can be served to the table.
There is one trick regarding the covers used in the cold method. It is best to use plastic covers. If you heat them over steam before closing the jar, they will be better placed against the glass and the cucumbers will be better stored.